August 17, 2016 Edition
Also in this issue...
Sports Scene |
It was a historic moment on Thursday, Aug. 11, when the ribbon was cut at 10 a.m. to open the last 16-mile section of U.S. Hwy. 67, that runs from approximately nine miles east of Swifton to the Hoxie/Walnut Ridge bypass. Hwy. 67 is now completely four-lanes from Little Rock to Hoxie and Walnut Ridge.
Reporter Dalton Sullivan wrote, "Less than an hour after the 10 a.m. ribbon cutting, the Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department (AHTD) had collected all the orange barrels and taken the covers off of the new signage, and traffic was zooming at 70-miles-per-hour on the new 16-mile section of four-lane freeway." See full coverage on 16A.
Pictures of the Past
The Walnut Ridge Elementary School first grade class of 1946 included (front, from left): Carolyn Campbell, Gerald Cooper, Talmadge Graham, Eddie Shatsar, Freddie Shatsar, Deanna Harvey, Patsy Ann Massey, Margaret Matthews, Danny Rose, Patricia Blake; (second row) Thalia Watkins, Stanley Shipman, Willis Burns, Walter Aldridge, Gary Rose, Franklin Belew, Mary Kathryn Holder, Gary Rash, Bobby Earl Lovelady; (third row) John Biddie, Bobby Spurlock, Buddy Spurlock, Beulah Adams, teacher; (back) W.W. Miller, principal, Carl Jones, Charles Briner, Reba Spence, James Birmingham, Donald Jones, Jessie Gates, James Shatsar, Roy York, Mrs. Perry York, room mother. (Pictures of the Past is a cooperative effort of The Times Dispatch and the Lawrence County Historical Society. Readers are encouraged to submit historic photos.)
Photo courtesy of Talmadge Graham
Click Here for help with The TD Online
Business Directory |
Community Directory |
Contact Us |
TD History |
Copyright 2000 ~ 2018 The Times Dispatch
P.O. Box 389 ~ Walnut Ridge, Arkansas 72476