June 25, 2014 Edition
Also in this issue...
Sports Scene |
Hoxie removes fee from water bills
The Hoxie City Council voted to remove the 50-cent service center fee from all water bills, effective next billing cycle. The fee was used for upkeep and maintenance of the building.
Citizens could choose to opt out of the fee and those who did pay the fee received a discounted price for renting the service center. Concerns arose about whether the charge would be classified as a fee or a tax.
The council agreed to remove the fee at the cost of about $9,000 a year to the city. The discounted rental rates will be honored until the end of the fiscal year and beginning Jan. 1, 2015, all renters will pay the same amount.
In other business:
- Mayor Lanny Tinker informed the council that disciplinary measures have been taken to ensure that inmates on work release are not allowed to read water meters. He said that they are there to assist with gaining access to and cleaning the water meter's surface but shall not read the meters even to get a second opinion.
- the council was informed of two office transfers. Cassie Sapp is now a fulltime radio dispatcher and Keri Taylor, who was working part time at dispatch, is now temporarily working as the city's administrative assistant.
- the 2012 legislative audit was reviewed. Councilmen agreed that all issues had been resolved.
- an ordinance establishing a permanent fee dedicated to mosquito control for the city was passed. The charge will remain at 75 cents per household.
- the council passed a resolution adopting a post-issuance compliancy policy for tax-exempt obligations in regards to the sale of a water and sewer bond.
Click Here for help with The TD Online
Business Directory |
Community Directory |
Contact Us |
TD History |
Copyright 2000 ~ 2015 The Times Dispatch
P.O. Box 389 ~ Walnut Ridge, Arkansas 72476