February 02, 2011 Edition
Also in this issue...
Sports Scene |
LawCo. Board approves
The Lawrence County School Board heard a presentation from the architect and construction manager on its proposed science, arts and physical education complex at its meeting on Jan. 25.
$4.6 million construction
project for WR campus
Board members approved construction of the facility after it was determined that costs did fall within the budget.
A groundbreaking will be held soon for the complex, which will include two science labs, five classrooms, art, choir and band rooms and physical education and field house facilities.
Supt. Terry Belcher also informed the board that the new seating in the Walnut Ridge Community Center is nearly complete and new carpeting should be installed within the next 10 days.
He also reported on two recent grants awarded to the district. One, a software grant, will provide help with math homework, and the other will provide reading materials.
In other business, the board:
- extended Supt. Belcher's contract through the 2013-14 school year.
- accepted resignations from Carrie Gutshall, aide on the Walnut Ridge campus, Ed Morgan, maintenance and part-time bus driver on the Black Rock campus; and Paula Rodgers, aide on the Black Rock campus.
- voted to hire Cheryl Rogers as high school aide on the Black Rock campus and Mike Bridges as a part-time bus driver on the Black Rock campus.
- approved some changes to the district's proposed stimulus funds projects on the Walnut Ridge campus to include upgrading the phone system, increasing the band-width to make the computers faster and purchasing furniture.
- voted to move the district's bus insurance coverage from Farm Bureau to the School Board Association, allowing the district to have its buses and all other vehicles under one policy.
- approved 14 Freedom of Choice applications to the district for next year.
- approved three transfers to the Black Rock campus.
- agreed to accept a transfer student to the Black Rock campus from another district.
- completed a mid-term review of its Facilities Master Plan as required by the state.
- approved a certificate of appointment that states that the district bookkeeper cannot leave for another position until a suitable replacement is found.
- added three names to the substitute list.
Click Here for help with The TD Online
Business Directory |
Community Directory |
Contact Us |
TD History |
Copyright 2000 ~ 2017 The Times Dispatch
P.O. Box 389 ~ Walnut Ridge, Arkansas 72476