May 26, 2010 Edition

Also in this issue...

News | Sports Scene | Education | Viewpoints | Records |

WR museum receives grant

Gloria Wilkerson
Staff Writer

The Wings of Honor Museum in Walnut Ridge has been awarded a $30,680 grant to expand its aviation cadet display from the Arkansas Department of Parks and Tourism. The museum is dedicated to preserving the history of the Walnut Ridge Army Flying School and those who trained, worked and lived there during World War II.

"We received a warrant for $23,000 on May 19, which represents 75 percent of the grant," said Harold Johnson, president of the museum board. "The remaining 25 percent may be released next year."

Wings of Honor was one of eight museums or organizations in Arkansas invited to apply for the grant, according to Johnson. The Aviation Cadet Museum at Eureka Springs was also awarded a grant.

Act 1160 of 2009, sponsored by Arkansas State Senator Randy Laverty, appropriated up to $100,000 for aviation cadet museums. To date, $80,000 has been funded.

A meeting of the museum board was scheduled for May 24 to discuss the planned display expansion. The current display includes information and artifacts from the WWII cadet program and training and pilot training.

Histories, photographs, posters, maps, curriculum, class rosters, personal artifacts, oral histories and models of training aircrafts are available now for public viewing, with new items to be added following the receipt of the grant.

Click Here for help with The TD Online

Google
 
Reprints Games

Click for Walnut Ridge Regional, Arkansas Forecast
News | Sports | Education | Viewpoints | Classifieds | Records
Business Directory | Calendar | Community Directory | Obituaries | The Scoreboard
Contact Us | Staff | TD History | Archives | Subscribe Online
Email the Online Editor:
Email the Editor:
Questions? Email:
askimahorn@thetd.com
editor@thetd.com
help@thetd.com
Hosted by BSC-Net
Copyright 2000 ~ 2014 The Times Dispatch
P.O. Box 389 ~ Walnut Ridge, Arkansas 72476

Games
Word Scramble







__

Word Scramble Cross-Browser JavaScript, Author: Richard Hucko (RHUCKO1), Web Site: www.DynamicScripts.tk, Category: Games, Browsers: All Newer Browsers
  Local Line Ads
Full online edition -
just a click away!

Read full editions of The Times Dispatch online.

For all your pharmaceutical needs
Sexton Pharmacy
218 W. Main ~ Walnut Ridge
886-3461

Create lasting memories ...
Order reprints or merchandise featuring original TD photos.

Printing available.
Call The TD for business cards, letterhead, invitations, note cards, more. 870-886-2464

Advertise in The Times Dispatch
Call Janice or Shantelle today! 870-886-2464