If you are lacking the spirit of Christmas, it is not too late to get it. The best way to find it is to spread it and that's exactly what a lot of our area residents have been doing. This edition of The TD is filled with stories and photos of giving.
- School and community groups have been making more donations of money and gifts to The Children's Shelter as that much-needed institution celebrates its first Christmas.
- The Kiwanis Club has continued its annual project to provide gifts and a sizable donation to the Lawrence County Cooperative School in Portia. The school also completed another successful mail-a-thon with donations coming from many in the area.
- Read about Theresa Price of Hoxie, who has recently returned from Africa, where she participated in a mission trip.
- Individuals and groups donated gifts and money to help make the Angel Tree project another big success.
- Various groups have made donations of food and canned goods to area food banks.
- Another effort we are aware of is the Lawrence County Rotary Club's effort to provide coats for school students in need at all schools in the county.
There are also many things individuals are doing. We have been told stories of individuals who are spending time with residents in our area's nursing homes who have little or no family to visit them. The residents are most grateful for even a brief visit or bit of attention. Others have told us that they are including neighbors, who might otherwise be alone, in their Christmas celebrations. Bad weather and work schedules often prevent family members from being together for Christmas.
With Christmas Day falling on Friday, we saw no reason to alter our regular print schedule for this week's TD. However, we had many readers call or stop by our office on Tuesday in expectation of an early Christmas paper. More often than not it does seem that we publish early on holiday weeks in order for prompt delivery.
It is a great honor and blessing to wish you - our readers, supporters, contributors and advertisers - a very Merry Christmas during this our 100th year of publication. From our staff to you, we send our thanks and pray for God's blessings on you and yours.