January 16, 2008 EditionAlso in this issue...
Hoxie hires grant writerDuring the regular meeting of the Hoxie City Council on Jan. 8, Mayor Donnie Roberts reported that he had hired a grant writer to work on a Rails to Trails Grant. The grant writer would apply for the funds for a two-percent fee.
The council discussed a resolution to apply for general improvement grant funds through the Arkansas Department of Parks and Tourism. After some discussion on land involved in the project, the council decided not to vote on the resolution.
During the meeting, aldermen heard from Scott Downum of Downum's Waste Service on ways to offset the cost of waste disposal. The council voted to use one option offered by Downum, pay a tipping fee of $15.50 per yard to dispose at the landfill, on a trial basis.
City Attorney Bobby Gibson advised the council to address the matter with an ordinance if they decide to continue with a contract after the trial period.
The council also opened bids for the position of city attorney during the meeting. Ryan Cooper, deputy prosecuting attorney for the Third District, submitted a bid to serve in the prosecution of court cases. Gibson submitted a bid as well.
Gibson advised the council to look into the option of requiring the city attorney to attend court twice a month rather than every week as a way for the city to save money. Roberts requested aldermen Sherry Moore and Kenny Franks look at each bid more closely and make a recommendation at the February meeting.
In other business:
- the council passed a resolution establishing rules for alderman attendance at regular meetings. City Attorney Gibson said that although there is no problem in Hoxie at this time that the council needed to have those rules in place.
- aldermen voted to exchange the Martin Luther King Jr. and Robert E. Lee birthday holiday for July 3. Several city employees had expressed an interest in the exchange to allow a four-day weekend over the Fourth of July.
- Mayor Donnie Roberts informed the council that he and his wife, Joyce, would be attending the Winter Conference of the Arkansas Municipal League.
- the council passed an ordinance to adopt the 2008 budget.
- John Holt addressed the council with concerns about vicious dogs in Hoxie. He suggested that the council change the current ordinance to address some of his concerns or look at other cities' ordinances. Mayor Roberts asked him to stop by his office and pick up a copy of the current ordinance and speak with the city's code enforcement officer.
News | Sports | Education | Viewpoints | Classifieds | Records
Business Directory | Calendar | Community Directory | Obituaries | The Scoreboard
Contact Us | Staff | TD History | Archives | Subscribe Online
Email the Online Editor:
Email the Editor:
P.O. Box 389 ~ Walnut Ridge, Arkansas 72476